Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hey everyone,

Welcome to my 365 project. I know when you hear "365" you probably think of a picture a day from someone, but this is going to be a little different. My project will span twelve months and each month I will feature a specific activity/hobby in which I will participate. At the end of each month I will hold a small auction for any items I created. All proceeds will be donated to a different charity a month. At the end of the twelve month project, a large auction will be held to raise money for a charity of YOUR choosing.

Some of the activities I will be participating in are sewing, knitting, digital photography, film photography, jewelry making, printmaking, baking, and many more.

The blog will be updated twice a week (at least) and will include pictures of processes, material information, a general update of each activity, as well as information on that month’s charity.

You can be on the look-out for collaboration projects with other artists from around the country. Also, if you are an artist wanting to get involved – email me!

Now, without further ado, this month’s first activity: SEWING. You guys, I'm so excited for this month. I've spent the past week going to various fabric stores, reading magazines, and stocking up on patterns. Now that I have gathered all the information and materials I will need I have decided one thing: I love to sew. Not only that, but it is very possible that I will somehow incorporate sewing into another month's activities. There is just so much I want to sew and one month will not be enough time.


Creations to look forward to this month:

  1. Aprons
  2. Messenger bags, totes, and accessory bags
  3. Scarves
  4. Pillows
  5. Maybe a really sweet shawl vest! (If my schedule allows.)

As for the charity the above items will be auctioned: World Vision. Even though it’s been over a month since the disaster in Haiti, there is still so much help that is needed and can be given. World Vision will distribute food, medicines, and family survival kits to children and families devastated by the earthquake in Haiti. Click HERE to read more about World Vision’s mission to help rebuild Haiti.


To be completely honest, I haven’t yet decided the best way to hold the auctions. I immediately thought of EBay, but the bidder has no way of knowing I will really give the money to the charity. So – any suggestions? I have a few other ideas, but I’d appreciate y’alls feedback.


I’ve been preparing and waiting to start this project for weeks. I appreciate everyone who has encouraged and helped me start this. I hope following this will be as much for you as I know it will be for me.


Blessings,

Ali

3 comments:

  1. You could do a "silent auction." People could comment on the post and leave bids. You would set a time limit where the auction ends at xx:xxam/pm. You check at that time and select the winner. They can pay via Paypal, or check or whatever you're able to accept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to start seeing pictures, ma'am! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. when do we get an update ali? :)

    ReplyDelete